5 TIPS & TRICKS FOR POST-HOLIDAY SEASON
We all know that the holiday season is the time of year when temptations and busy schedules make us lose track of our health and fitness goals.
But, let's not let the holidays get us down! If we set the intention and strategically do some of these listed below we can get back on track and take these tips through to next holiday season. Here are my top 5 tips and tricks you can implement TODAY!
1. Don’t focus on the food. Don’t make food the center of attention, focus, or obsession. Start the year by spending time with those you love, caring for others, being grateful, and being mindful of actions. Think about creating a daily routine that's healthier than every before. I tell all my clients to always use the 80/20 rule. Which simply means 80 percent of the time eat healthy foods such as lean meats, vegetables, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats. The other 20 percent of the time indulge a little. It won’t hurt you!
2. Drink lots of water. Take your body weight and divide that by 2. Drink that number in ounces. Water is so important for various and obvious reasons, but the main reason we need to drink it now is for its detoxifying properties and it will aid in filtering out some of those indulgences you consume.
3. Take 1 packet Forever Fiber daily. Eating the recommended daily dose of vegetables can be very challenging, especially when you're busy getting back to normal life. Taking a fiber supplement offers a range of health perks. It can lower cholesterol, keep your blood sugar steady, and help you not gain any weight.
4. Take the stairs. If you typically use an elevator to get to your office or your apartment, consider taking the stairs instead. You can also use the stairs to just get a little movement in during your sitting breaks. I recommend getting up at MINIMUM once every two hours and going on a 5-10 minute walk.
5. Burn fat in just 4 minutes! Download the application “Tabata” to your smart phone. This is by far one of my favorite timers to use in order to burn calories fast and efficiently. Using this app will rev your metabolism and create an “after burn” where you are burning calories all day. You will perform an exercise for 20 seconds, and then rest 10 seconds, repeating 8 times for a total of 4 minutes.
An example of a Tabata workout: This workout would only take you 16 minutes and all you need is your body weight!
Set 1: Pushups
Set 2: Planks
Set 3: Squats
Set 4: Wall sit
These tips are not rocket science and may seem like common sense, but remember common sense isn’t always common practice. Slowly start implementing these strategies into your life today and I think you will be very happy with yourself once the summer rolls around. Plus, you'll create healthy habits that you can take with you through the next holiday season!
Jake Coyle, Global F.I.T. Athlete